Monday 3 December 2012

My 10 Quick and Easy Ways to Feeling Good!

1.     THINK POSITIVE- Most of the time how you feel is down to how you think, so try and replace every negative thought with a positive one. A good thing to also try is to make a list of the ten most things that make you happy, it can be combined with things about yourself that you love, people that make you happy and funny memories you have that instantly make you laugh/smile

2.     DO GOOD- Do something nice for someone. Helping somebody out is an instant mood-lifter. It can be anything from talking to your elderly neighbour for a few minutes instead of rushing past or giving a seat up on the bus. You could do a good deed for somebody or even just make sure you give out lots of compliments, even to strangers!

3.     KEEP GOOD COMPANY- Have a look around your circle of friends; are you surrounding yourself with good, honest, positive people? Keeping good company with positive people will always boost your self-esteem as well as giving you that sense of security and happiness.

4.     THINK ABOUT OTHERS- Take time to think about how others feel... If it seems like your partner/friend/family member is always getting at you lately, maybe they are having problems of their own and may need some help or someone to talk to. Also, remember that your moods have an effect on people, so try and bare that mind, especially when you’re around children.

5.     SMILE J It’s so simple, and just the act of smiling produces endorphins – the feel good hormones that banish the blues!

6.     TIDY- A messy room/house can aggravate a bad mood. Take a few minutes to make your room orderly and tidy. Remove all that unwanted clutter too, that’s a great way to improve your mood and give you that ‘freeing’ feeling.

7.     EXERCISE- Even if it’s just a quick refreshing walk around the block. The fresh air is a great way of helping you clear your mind. Exercise will boost your mood in many ways as well as keeping you healthy and in shape. You don’t need to hit the gym to exercise, there are plenty of workouts you can do in your own home.

8.     EAT HEALTHY- Bad moods can be caused by too much sugar, which can give you a surge of energy but then can be followed by a slump. Replace sugary snacks with fresh fruit and you’ll be energised with skin that glows as an added bonus. Drink plenty of water too, and you’ll soon feel the benefits.

9.     LISTEN TO MUSIC- Not that sad music or depressing love ballads when you’re going through a break-up. Happy, music with positive lyrics and an uplifting beat. If you’re able to, then sing from the top of your voice, maybe even dance too. Dance is a good way of keeping fit and releasing endorphins.

10.                      TALK- Talk to a friend if you feel upset or are worried about something. Chances are they would have felt the same at some point. Getting it off your chest helps loads and makes you feel so much better and sometimes it can be great to hear it from another prospective. If you don’t have anyone to talk to then tell a diary. Writing is a very good way of letting your emotions out and a great way or being able to understand how you’re feeling and why, once you read it back. If stress is keeping you awake at night, then an hour before you go to bed, write all your worries in a note pad, and then lock it away in a draw in another room. Doing this every night is very therapeutic.



Having said all that, sometimes, feeling sad is a good way to feel better! Sounds crazy right?
If it’s constructed, it can work. If you allow yourself a good cry every now and then it can be good way of letting everything out. Keeping your emotions in and letting them build up is never a good thing. I am a happy and positive person, but for some reason I always seem to feel a bit down on a Sunday, nothing to heavy, just not as happy as I usually am. So now I just allow myself to have some time to be down. I call it ‘Sunday sad day’. When my children are in bed on a Sunday evening, I’ll lie on the sofa in a blanket stuffing my face with chocolate and watching the saddest film I can find. I have a good old cry and it’s actually really refreshing, and leaves me feeling lighter for the rest of the week. Anything that’s annoyed or upset me in the week, I’ve let it all out because, whilst I was crying for the bloke that died at the end of the film, I was also crying for anything that has upset or annoyed me through the week or life in general. Also, because I recognise that I’m always that bit more emotional on a Sunday, I’ll refrain from sending any emotional text messages, or calling an ex for a ‘chat’ because I’ll only regret it the next day. It’s just Sunday’s, and for me it’s probably a combination of going out the night before so I’m tired and sometimes a little hung-over. My children are sometimes are at their dads for the weekend and don’t return until Sunday afternoon so I don’t get to do that sit down as a family and eat a roast thing. But it’s not just me, a lot of my friends feel the same on a Sunday and a couple of them have joined in with the ‘Sunday sad day’ practise. It really does help!


No comments:

Post a Comment